Congregation of the Messiah is a member parish of the Syro-Chaldean Church of North America. The history of this church stems out of the work of Saint Thomas the Apostle in India. In 1902 in order to extend the evangelical work of this eastern catholic church to the English speaking world, Ulric Vernon Herford was consecrated a bishop for England and subsequently, his bishops brought the church to the United States. Congregation of the Messiah was one of its first parishes beginning in September 1974.
The parish originated from a home prayer group in Scarsdale, New York. Its first pastor, Bertram Schlossberg was ordained to the priesthood in the line of the Church of the East. In 1976, it was incorporated under the name of the Syro-Chaldean Church of North America. The name was changed in 1992 to the Evangelical Apostolic Church. However, in order to more clearly re-identify with its historic roots, the denomination has return to its original name in 2015.
In 2004, Fr. David Flores was
installed as senior pastor. He received his bachelor’s degree in Church
Studies from Nyack College and earned his Master of Professional Studies Degree in Ministry from New York Theological Seminary. In 2014, Fr. David was consecrated Bishop of the Westchester Diocese.